This post covers halaal food in the Garden Route & Sunshine Coast – from George to Grahamstown. It is not a comprehensive list. I have not been to all of these restaurants.
Please verify status when visiting.
Halaal food in Jeffreys Bay
Jeffrey’s Bay is known for its surfing waves. Halaal food is not easy to find here but its not impossible. When visiting this town recently I asked my followers on @southafricahalaal for recommendations. Nothing came up for Jeffreys Bay although there were recommendations for places in Port Elizabeth, Knysna and George. I tried Googling it but nothing came up.
On our first day there we visited the KFC but the staff there had no idea what halaal was . We then went to the McDonalds at Fountain Mall. They had a halaal certificate from MJC. On our second day, while driving through the town, we spotted a small takeaway called Fatima’s Food and Spices with a halaal sign. We bought some slap chips from there. They also sell other fast foods and curries.
View this post on Instagram
Besides the above, there is a Fishaways and an Ocean Basket (it does serve alcohol though).
Where to stay in Jeffrey’s Bay
Supertubes Guest House Villa
Halaal food in Plettenberg Bay
- The KFC in the Market Square shopping centre has a halaal certificate.
Shop G 01, Market Square Shopping Centre
Popeyes on Main Take Aways (Muslim-owned). Contact 084 507 2059
- Layla – Home-cooked meals 0829277169
Where to stay in Plettenberg Bay
Halaal food in Knysna
- KFC – Cnr Montagu, Main Rd, Knysna
- Amazen Foods – 20 Gray Street
- Mashaa Allah Cafe – A Somali cafe serving fast food.
- Oriental Cafe on Main road is Muslim owned and serves fast food.
- Zam Zam – Main Road, St Georges Square – 081 271 2504
- Hungry Lion, Shop A8, Knysna Square, Cnr Nelson & St George Street
- Sailor Sam – Only seafood sold. No alcohol.
Where to stay in Knysna
The Lofts Boutique Hotel
Halaal food in George
- Nandos, 74 Knysna Street, 044 871 0056
- Burger King, Eden Meander Lifestyle Centre
- KFC – Garden Route Mall
- KFC -26 Courttenay Street
- KFC – York Street
- McDonalds, Garden Route Mall
- Kababish 0685169193
- Fusion Foods – Shaista Nanabhai -23 Meade Street, George South, George, PH: 0749464619
- Zainubs Kitchen (Home cooked meals) – 0836742287
- Meelas Delights – 3 Fabriek Street 0448845287 or 0814031365
- Hungry Lion, Shoprite Centre, Market Street, George
- Asmas foods 0847777799
Halaal food in Grahamstown
- Danka’s Halaal Eatery , 14 New Street, Grahamstown, Zubair Danka 0736057888
- Fareegh Halaal Butchery, 38a Market St, George Central, George, Phone: 064 690 6185
Khan’s Meat & Eats, Shop No.2 Kirstenhof, Knysna Road(opp Tile Africa), George084 209 0115 / 082 356 6839 / 044 871 5374
Halaal food in Mossel Bay
More halaal food in Garden Route via Alhidaya
Halaal food in Port Elizabeth
View this post on Instagram
Latinos Pizza (Pictured above) and La Fiesta – Various branches – https://lafiesta.co.za/
House of Pizza – Bell Rd, Parkside, Port Elizabeth
Mr Chows – Shop 114, 3 Beetlestone Rd, Gelvan Park, Port Elizabeth
Paco Taco – Baywest and Newton Park – https://www.instagram.com/p/CHcoMYdDDPC/
Pizza Hut – Dolphins Leap Centre, 6 Beach Rd, Humewood, Port Elizabeth
Coffee 2Day – Parkside, Port Elizabeth
Gravity Cafe – Linton Grange
Oceans 11 – 6th Ave, Walmer, Port Elizabeth
Nandos – Summerstrand, Walmer, Metlife
Primi Cafe – Port Elizabeth International Airport
This is Eat – Only seafood sold. No alcohol or other meat.
More options via AlHidayah
More halaal food in the Eastern Cape
Tasty Gallos , Shop UG3, Gillwell Mall, East London (SANHA certified)
Via @hidayah_centre on Instagram
If you have more recommendations, please comment below.