This post covers halaal food in the Garden Route & Sunshine Coast – from George to Grahamstown. It is not a comprehensive list. I have not been to all of these restaurants. Please verify status when visiting.
Halaal food in Jeffreys Bay
Jeffrey’s Bay is known for its surfing waves. Halaal food is not easy to find here but its not impossible. When visiting this town recently I asked my followers on @southafricahalaal for recommendations. Nothing came up for Jeffreys Bay although there were recommendations for places in Port Elizabeth, Knysna and George. I tried Googling it but nothing came up.
On our first day there we visited the KFC but the staff there had no idea what halaal was . We then went to the McDonalds at Fountain Mall. They had a halaal certificate from MJC. On our second day, while driving through the town, we spotted a small takeaway called Fatima’s Food and Spices with a halaal sign. We bought some slap chips from there. They also sell other fast foods and curries.
View this post on Instagram
Besides the above, there is a Fishaways and an Ocean Basket (it does serve alcohol though).
Read more about our experiences in Jeffrey’s Bay here.
Halaal food in Plettenberg Bay
- The KFC in the Market Square shopping centre has a halaal certificate.
Shop G 01, Market Square Shopping Centre
Popeyes on Main Take Aways (Muslim-owned)Contact 084 507 2059
- There is a takeaway called Asian Cafe next to the taxi rank. They sell fish and chips.
- Layla 0829277169
Halaal food in Knysna
- KFC – Cnr Montagu, Main Rd, Knysna
- Fishline fisheries – Only seafood sold. No alcohol. Railway Siding Dockyard, Cnr Long & Waterfront Drive (Behind Tait Marine Knsyna)
- Sailor Sam – Only seafood sold. No alcohol.
- Mashaa Allah Cafe – A Somali cafe serving fast food.
- Oriental Cafe on Main road is Muslim owned and serves fast food.
- Zam Zam – Main Road, St Georges Square – 081 271 2504
Halaal food in George
- Kababish 0685169193
- Asmas foods 0847777799
- Zainubs and Meelas 0448845287 or 0814031365
- Mumbai Cafe
- Halaal food in Grahamstown
- Danka’s Halaal Eatery , 14 New Street, Grahamstown, Zubair Danka 0736057888
More halaal food in Garden Route via Alhidaya
Halaal food in Port Elizabeth
View this post on Instagram
Latinos Pizza (Pictured above) and La Fiesta – Various branches – https://lafiesta.co.za/
House of Pizza – Bell Rd, Parkside, Port Elizabeth
Mr Chows – Shop 114, 3 Beetlestone Rd, Gelvan Park, Port Elizabeth
Paco Taco – Baywest and Newton Park – https://www.instagram.com/p/CHcoMYdDDPC/
Pizza Hut – Dolphins Leap Centre, 6 Beach Rd, Humewood, Port Elizabeth
Coffee 2Day – Parkside, Port Elizabeth
Gravity Cafe – Linton Grange
Oceans 11 – 6th Ave, Walmer, Port Elizabeth
Nandos – Summerstrand, Walmer, Metlife
Primi Cafe – Port Elizabeth International Airport
This is Eat – Only seafood sold. No alcohol.
More options via AlHidayah
More halaal food in the Eastern Cape
Tasty Gallos , Shop UG3, Gillwell Mall, East London (SANHA certified)
Via @hidayah_centre on Instagram
If you have more recommendations, please comment below.